Chernoh Alpha M Bah
COMRADE CHERNOH ALPHA M. BAH FOR PARLIAMENT
Comrade Chernoh Alpha M. Bah, Chairman of the African Socialist Movement (ASM), will be contesting for parliamentary position in the upcoming presidential and parliamentary elections of Sierra Leone in November 2012.
Comrade Chernoh Bah who is currently the Official Spokesperson of the political coalition between the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and African Socialist Movement (ASM) will be standing for elections in the northern city of Makeni to represent Constituency 28 in the Parliament of Sierra Leone.
The current Member of Parliament representing the area is Hon. Koya Kala Kamara of the All Peoples Congress (APC), the party of Ernest Bai Koroma who is currently president of Sierra Leone.
Political analysts have already described Comrade Chernoh Bah’s candidature as having serious implications for the All Peoples Congress (APC), which has been in power for the last five years.
Makeni is regarded as an APC stronghold but the African Socialist Movement (ASM) has its strongest base in that city. And Chernoh Alpha M. Bah was born in Makeni itself on March 28, 1979 where he attended primary and secondary school. He later pursued African Studies at Fourah Bay College, University of Sierra Leone.
As a long term activist in the region, Comrade Bah has remained the most consistent voice in the struggle for national democratic rights in Sierra Leone. A journalist for over ten years in the region, he has participated in the struggle for civil rule in the country and defended the rights of journalists and ordinary people across the region and beyond.
In 2001, Comrade Chernoh Alpha M. Bah organized founded the Africanist Movement which organized thousands of West Africa’s youths into one of most powerful revolutionary organizations in “post-colonial” West Africa fighting for African unity and control of Africa’s resources.
Comrade Chernoh Bah was also editor of the Critique News International Magazine, and publisher and editor of The Africanist newspaper. He was also editor of the Concord Times Newspaper; columnist for The Democrat Newspaper and winner of the 2002 African Journalist of the Year award. Highlights of Chernoh Alpha M. Bah’s political activism and journalistic accomplishments include
- Secretary General of the Pan-African Movement for Human Rights and Democratic Development, 1995.
- Co-founder of the Awareness Movement, January 1997, formed to unite young Africans in Sierra Leone to campaign against the atrocities of Foday Sankoh’s Revolutionary United Front.
- Founder and President of the Young Writers Association, 1999, formed to unite exiled writers and journalists from Sierra Leone and Liberia
- Founder of The Nations Newspaper, first English publication in Conakry to provide news and analysis on the conditions of ‘refugees’ in Guinea and conflicts in Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- Founder and Director of the Africanist Movement, 2001-present, formed to fight for the uncompromising liberation and unification of the oppressed African masses.
- Former Editor of the Concord Times Newspaper (several articles available on AllAfrica.com
- Former columnist for The Democrat Newspape
- Winner of the 2002 PAMHADD’s African Journalist of the Year Award. Mr. Bah is one of a few journalists in Sierra Leone trained to report on international criminal justice.
- Editor of the Critique News International Magazine
- Publisher and Editor of both The Africanist newspaper and African-Extra Bulletin
- Director of the Africanist Movement from 2001-2009
- Chairman of the African Socialist Movement (ASM) and Spokesperson of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA)